Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Start Of Something Special - My Day At President Washington's Mount Vernon

George Washington's Mount Vernon

General George Washington
For some of you who may not be aware, I have been working on what I hope and anticipate will be a very different type of story about out nation's incredible, heroic, yet humble founding father, President George Washington.

Research and understanding of character, in this case President Washington, is critical to any writer's ability to present a real-life understanding of that person.  And so, yesterday I spent the first of what I anticiapte will be a long stretch of frequent visits to Mount Vernon, home and burial ground of President Washington and his wife Martha.

Washington's Inaguration On Wall Street
Undenialbly there is so much written about Washington's leadership, deciscion making, and heroic acts during the Revolutionary War and thereafter as president of our new nation.

The words he shared on April 30th, 1789 while standing at Federal Hall during the night of his inaguration in New York City's Wall Street that "Liberty is an experiement entrusted to the American people," is something that will forever stand with me.  If is a far cry of isolationism that once pervailed.


Crossing The Delaware
So this morning as I reflect upon the life of this noble man who changed the world forever, and as my eyes overlook the United States Capitol, I realize that my life and perspective are about to shift once again as I search to find and hold the lessons of President George Washington and understand his enlightened state.

I sure am looking forward to this journey, and eventually sharing my writing with the world.